As we arose from our rock hard bed and I attempted a shower. The water barely spouted out and it ranged from scalding hot to freezing cold. Needless to say, this shower turned me off from attempting another one the rest of the week! It was sink rinses for me from then on. We got dressed and I headed down the the lobby of the Union Hotel. They have a restaurant in the lobby. Tom opted to stay up in the hotel as his nerves were really getting to him. He had a Zone Bar and looked out the window of our hotel. From there he could see a bustle of activity (things start in Ethiopia as the sun rises around 6:00am). The outlying hills were filled with beautiful tress and lush green grasses, something we weren't expecting. Down below on the street were people constantly walking, walking, walking. To where? We have no idea, but there were always people walking - on a mission to get somewhere. Outside of our hotel, there were men were working on construction of a building. They were making a form for a 2nd story floor. It took us a while to figure out that this was what they were doing. The reason being that in Ethiopia the building materials mostly consist of wood. The scaffolding is something that you would never see in the States. It was astounding to see what they could accomplish. These people are incredibly hard workers and it is amazing to watch them at work. Below our hotel there was also a man who had a sewing business. Each morning he would bring out his manual sewing machine, set it up, hang a rope and any garments that he would be working on that day. Then he would sit and wait for someone to bring a pair of pants, a shirt, a skirt to be mended. At the end of the day, he would pack it all up inside of his house and shut the gate to eat and sleep and thus start again the next day.
Look in the background - you see the beauty of the countryside. The orange tarp is the man with the sewing business.
We all jumped up nervously and walked through the doors. Each of us held our spouses hands as we walked the road to Hannah's Hope. It was full of rubble and debris as well as people traveling to and fro. None of them had any idea this would be the first time we would all meet our children. It was a quiet walk. We approached the door to Hannah's Hope and we were greeted by beautiful toddlers playing as well as African music playing in the background as babies were being fed by their special mothers. What a sight it was - to know my son had lived here for half of his life gave me such an overwhelming sense of love, respect and gratefulness.
I walked over to the baby area (a covered outside play shed essentially) and asked where Abraham was. A special mother pointed him out to me - he was on the back side of the baby room. Tom turned on the camera and recorded me meeting our son Abraham. I walked over and turned the car seat he was in toward me. I smiled and said, "Hello Abraham." I absolutely could not believe how beautiful this boy was. I could not believe I was actually getting to touch him, to see him, to talk to him, to hold him. I reached down and stroked his face and beamed from ear to ear. He looked so intently at me and opened his mouth just a bit. I picked my beautiful boy up; brought him to my chest. Abraham instantly leaned into me and held me so tight as if to say, "Hi mom, I'm so glad you're here - I've been waiting for you." We simply held each other. My emotions were indescribable. I was thrilled to finally be holding my precious boy. Tears were the only thing that could come. I had to relinquish him so that his dad could have the same experience. As Tom held him, Abraham looked at him as though Tom were some strange creature that he'd never seen before. It truly was adorable and oh so precious. We were instantly in love. We spent the next 15-20 minutes switching off holding him, talking and holding the other sweet babies. We watched as the older children got to know their parents. It was such a pleasure to be a part of ALL of this. Abraham fell asleep in my arms and I did not want to let him go.
Meeting my Abraham for the very first time!
Tom meeting his Abraham for the very first time!
Proud parents - what an incredible feeling!
When we arrived, our drivers Danny, Binyam and Yohannes were there to drive us. Of course, in Ethiopia there are no car seats, so we would be holding Abraham in our arms. He was quite happy about this as it provided him lots of cuddle time and ample opportunity to look out of the window. The older kids reunited with their parents (they had stayed at HH for lunch) and we headed out. Again, it was a very hot day, so windows were open. As we drove we again saw so much poverty, yet the beauty of Ethiopia. Some roads were paved and some were giant dirt roads that provided quite a bumpy ride for all of us. There was a lot of jostling going on, which the children appreciated and the adults were stun ned by. While looking out of the windows, we saw things such as herds of goats and donkeys walking down the road and at the same time men in business suits traveling to their next destination.
Goats taking a rest on the side of the road.
View of the other van - driving to the Embassy
Looking closely you'll see the disparity - there is a man huddled on the side of the road and others seem to be going about their business. But, don't let me paint a picture that is not the case - Ethiopians LOVE each other and take care of each other - they are the most loving, beautiful people I have ever met.
We rode back to the Union seeing much of the same. I was VERY ready for rest at this point, as was Tom. I can't say enough how much I appreciate my husband. He is such a rock. While I was feeling so horrible he took Abraham (not that he wouldn't anyway, but he just does it and takes care of me too). We got back up to the room and he suggested that I pour one of the Propel packets into a water bottle to try and get some electrolytes. I drank that and it was like life came back to me. We then went down to dinner with everyone else at the Union. We had spaghetti - which was quite delicious. I ate almost all of mine. After dinner, we both headed upstairs to bed. We spent time with our precious new son. It was so fun to change him, put on his jammies and cuddle him while giving him his bottle. He constantly gazed at us and went right to sleep. That night he woke up four times (Tom and I took turns), but went right back to sleep with his bottle. At times it was hard to sleep because I just kept thinking, "this is my son, I can't believe I am here with him. Thank you God!"
We went to sleep dreaming of our precious children at home, the miracle of our new son, and with anticipation of our next day in Ethiopia...

12 comments:
I LOVE it!!! It's like reliving our trip over again. Thanks for the wonderful details and pictures. Abraham is absolutely gorgeous!!! Mike did all the journaling and blogging while we were in Ethiopia. I love having it to go back to...even though he wrote like such a guy-- just the facts-- no gooey, emotional details. :) Too funny!
-Suzi
Thank you for sharing all of this Kristin. I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but couldn't find the right words to fit the beauty of what you had written. I am just trying to soak up every word and I'm visualizing us doing these very things next week!!! Guess what I added to my shopping list....Propel packets!!!! I'm not always good about drinking plenty of water, but I'm going to faithfully drink it next week. I love how you write! Hope you are doing well. Can't wait for Day 3!!
Dee Dee
Hey Kristin-Thank you for this. I have some anxiety about the travel part of this whole process and getting a glimpse into your journey is so helpful! My hubby even read last night and he is not a blog reader. Your Abraham is so precious!
Wow, I feel like I was right there with you. Thank you for helping to prepare me for my trip--hopefully soon.
Kristin, what a beautiful collection of your day there. It makes me long for my journey even more.
Amy
Oh i am crying!! i love it. God's beautiful blessing.
LOVE IT!! Can't wait for Day 3!!
You make me cry. Thank you for sharing every single moment of your journey to Abraham with us. I can't wait for day #3.
YOUR BOY IS PRECIOUS!
Those eyes! How can you handle it!
That gold bed spread brought back some memories... from your shower story, I think you might have been in the same room as us - haha. What floor were you on?
It is so sweet to read about your experience... yet it is hard because it makes me SO SAD that I can't just go back and visit. I know that sounds corny but I loved that week of my life. Having him home is the BEST!!! but I miss Ethiopia SO MUCH!
thank you SO much for sharing your story!! i love all the pictures and details. can't wait for day 3!
~dawn
I really enjoy reading all about your journey and your lil man is so cute!Can't wait to hear more!!!
I love seeing all of the pitures. Ethiopia is such a beautiful country, but it also has some sites that break my heart.
Seeing your beautiful son made my day.
Post a Comment