Why am I going back to Ethiopia? Simple - because God asked me to! It started over a year ago (August '07) when Tom and I were first asked by God to adopt. I knew immediately after Tom told me about God's revelation that we had to obey. I was THRILLED to say the least, but also feeling very apprehensive. A day or two after our "yes" verdict I remember sitting in the bathroom blow-drying my hair. I was going over every possible scenario for how this whole adoption thing would "play" out. Needless to say, I was struggling and lacking peace. I was continually lifting it up to God and that particular day, He said to me, "Yes Kristin, you are supposed to adopt - that is my calling for you and your family. But, are you ready for what's next?"
WHAT'S NEXT??? What in the world was that supposed to mean - I was barely wrapping my head around the idea of adoption! What was I supposed to say - NO? I responded by saying, "Yes God, I'm ready - I have no clue what's next or how you want to use me, but I want to be faithful and follow you. Promise me that you'll lead me through it no matter what." He has stayed faithful - uh duh!
Fast forward to last March '08. One of the pastors at our church had been feeling for a few years (starting in '06) that Africa was on his heart. He knew our church (Cornwall Church is a Church of God church that has around 3,000 members here in Bellingham, WA) needed to be involved somehow. That had been put on hold for him for a few years, but then God started revealing the work He had been doing! All within months, there were 4 families from our church who heard God's call to adopt a child. Now this may sound all fuzzy and warm, but here's the thing. NONE of the families were planning on having ANY more children - we were all DONE! God spoke, we all listened. Within days we all told each other. What's crazy is that we all were adopting from Ethiopia and the same agency - how can you not see God at work in that?!
In March one of my adoptive mom friends and I met with the pastor who had Africa on his heart and that got the ball rolling. He gave us his "big idea" and asked us to work on that and get more details. My other friend ended up moving to another church and the first pastor left for a different job (none of those were bad things). But, our missions pastor traveled to Ethiopia with one of the families from our church when they went to go get their son. He fell in LOVE with Ethiopia and knew that's where God had called us in Africa. He then went again on a scouting mission last October. I have been working behind the scenes to help drive this mission, the passion for the people, the children of Ethiopia. There was going to be a possible trip in May, but that didn't end up working out. Our missions pastor wanted me to go, but I knew May would not work (Abraham wouldn't be ready by then). Then October came up and I KNEW - YES - I can go with God's blessing!
That's where we are at this point. We'll be traveling at the end of October and will be gone for 10 days (that is a LONG time for me - if you think of it pray for our entire family in preparation for this. Abraham will be 2 by then, but it will still be hard. I know he'll be great though. Lowa and Whitt are total troopers and know they'll miss me, but will be ok)! We will spend some time in Addis Ababa and 4 days in Mekele - a city in the north-central region of Ethiopia. That is where we feel God is calling Cornwall... To what? That's what we're still seeking. God is slowly, but surely revealing His plans and we are moving where He asks us. Everything has fallen in place exactly as He has desired and none of us want to push our own will on what He is doing. We will be doing many projects such as working in orphanages, doing physical labor and building, visiting the Fistula Hospitals, and Mother Teresa Homes. Nothing is set in stone yet and we aren't sure what this all entails - it's all very rough at this point - but there's lots of time to firm it all up. We do know that we go to love, serve and care for the people of Ethiopia. Christ made it very clear to his followers that we are to take care of the needy, widows and orphans and that's exactly what we plan to do. We bring a message of love and hope and know that when God calls - He works! For that reason alone my hearts leaps for joy - joy in anticipation for what HE will do.
Personally I am thrilled to be going back. It's going to be a whole new experience, but I think much less stressful. First of all I've been there before so I know what to expect. Secondly, I don't have the HUGE responsibility of caring for a new son (that was SO intense and that's exactly where my mind and heart were the whole time). I will get to focus on people and children without thinking about whether my son has been changed, fed or whether he needs to sleep or if he's safe (you all know what I'm talking about if you've adopted :) ).
I am working on fundraising and am getting closer by the month (I'm completely trusting God to provide and He's doing a darn good job of it thus far - yeah for Craigslist.com!). I have a ways to go, but honestly - I'm not worried about it. I won't be borrowing any money with a loan - instead it's trust - trust that God has called and He will provide.
I would love your prayers and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away. I'll be posting more about my preparations as the time gets closer!
Now you're in for a treat with these videos... :).
Video: Anyone wonder what 10 hours on an airplane from Ethiopia with a screaming child sounds like? And, let me tell you - this is MILD!
If you want the story - go here... The plane ride story is at the bottom of this post.
Here he is just a few minutes later after we'd turned on the music. Isn't he just the cutest thing?! This kid can move - any time music comes on - he's groovin'. I LOVE this about him! My sweet boy!!
3 comments:
So proud of and so excited for YOU! I'm just in awe... This is going to be an amazing trip.
And the videos and pictures? Adorable!
Happy Easter! Thinking of and praying for you!
M
HOW EXCITING!!!! What a calling for you and what a life changing experience that lies ahead.
Ahhh--love the pics and the video in the car. I needed a laugh and that's just what I got. Makes me love them even more!
WOW - I am so excited for you!! That is so awesome and I can't wait to see what amazing things you do!
Oh and I always LOVE videos of the kids! :)
Post a Comment