Nurse: "So where did you get him from?" (I know she meant well and was trying to be kind, but that kinda erked me - "get him from?" Come on he's not a pet...)
Me: "Oh, we adopted our son from Ethiopia. I can't believe it, but he's already been home a year."
Nurse: "That's so special...."
Then we both went on about how special adoption is and of course how cute Abraham is!
But, this conversation stirred something in me. I felt so protective of him. When she asked me where we "got" him from, it not only erked me but made me think... "Wow, Abraham hasn't been with us all of his life." How strange - he simply feels ALL mine... ALL my son, ALL my boy, ALL my goofball, ALL my temper tantrum thrower, ALL my rough and tumble boy, ALL my little fruit eater, ALL my gorgeous smile boy, ALL MINE. I know in my head that he has another birth mom, but it's hard to fathom that at the same time. I really feel like he's always been with me. It's not that I don't recognize, appreciate, love and am in awe of his birth mom - it's just that I am so attached and in love with this child that I can't ever imagine him NOT a part of this family. Needless to say, God has done a lot in the last year of Abraham being home.
I think back to when we first brought him home and how strange it felt that he was my son. It didn't feel like he was my son right away (just so you know I felt the same way with Lowa and Whittaker as well - I think I'm one of those freaks of nature as a mom - not instant attachment type). Anyway, it took us a while to get into our groove and try to understand each other, our quirks and how to make life work for us both. I remember thinking - three kids - this is NUTS (not that that's changed), but somehow, now it's just my new normal. I get tired and exhausted, but it's life - and I'm loving it. Don't get me wrong - there are PLENTY of days where I want to rip my hair out or take a week vacation, but overall God's brought a peace that I didn't think would ever come.
A year - what a crazy, fun-filled, exhausting, exhilarating, triumphant, humbling adventure it's been. I can only imagine what the next year will hold for us...
"Abraham, what a blessing God has brought to us through you! You are such a joy, you're determined and stubborn, you're goofy, your full of energy, you're such a sweet brother, you're a dancer and a mover, you have the best smile I've every seen, you're a cuddler, you're a loving and sensitive soul, you're MY son and I thank God for you daily. Thank you for being a part of our lives. I know God has great things in store for you my son. I'm just glad I get to be along for the adventure and have the privilege of seeing who He molds you into - what a treat! I love you my boy."
Abraham's first referral picture - look how tiny he is!
4 comments:
It's been a year already?! Wow! I can't believe how much he's grown. He was such a little peanut and now he's a little boy. You have such a cute family! You are blessed. :)
Happy Home-aversary! He is SO cute. Those eyes and that bottom lip! Oh man, he is cUUUte.
Theresa
Oh, Kristin, this post just about makes me cry b/c it is so sweet. It is so hard to believe it has been a year. I remember what a surprise it was when you got your referral! He's amazing!
Beautiful post. :)
He has grown SO MUCH.
Post a Comment