Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Recipes Anyone?

Hey There!

I've been loving posting our weekly menu and recipes or links. It definitely keeps me accountable and helps with my weekly shopping. I'm hoping others can get some use out of it too :).

I wanted to throw this out there. I think we all get tired of eating the same things over and over. I know I'm always up for new ideas. So... if you have a favorite recipe, I'm always looking for new things to try and to share. If you have something that you think is fabulous, leave it in my comment section. I'd love to try it out. Plus, then others can try something new as well.

Just a thought - if it works, great - if not - I'll just keep searching out new things and trying our wonderful family favorites :)!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Here's a few of our fave's - I know they aren't all typical... the kids two fave meals are burrito's & falafel. Our's is a mediteraian type of chicken.

Burrito's
1 cup cooked rice
1 can black beans
1 jar salsa
seasonings like cilantro, jalepeno's, green chili's to taste but I usually buy a salsa that has everything I like in it.

Start cooking the rice and then add it to a pan of salsa/black beans. Spoon onto a tortilla & add pepper jack cheese.


FALAFEL

1 cup chickpeas (the recipe calls for dried chickpeas with soaking overnight I just buy them in the can)
1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
2 TBS finely chopped fresh parsley
2 TBS finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp dried hot red pepper (I've been using the pepper flakes)
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp baking powder
4-6 (or I usually use more) TBS flour

Oil for frying

1. Place the drained chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.

2. Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 TBS of the flour. Pulse. You want to add enough flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.

3. Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.

4. Heat 3 inches of oil (I use much less or you can even bake them but that will make them drier)to 375 degrees in a deep pot or wok and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Stuff in pita's with all the fixin's like hummus, onions, kalamata olives, spanish olives, tomatoes, feta cheese.


MEDITERANEAN CHICKEN

1-2 chicken breasts
1 can italian diced tomatoes
green pepper
onion
kalamata olives
spanish olives
capers
feta cheese
pasta

cut the chicken in bite size pieces and sautee in olive oil. Add the diced onion and green pepper and sautee. Add the italian tomatos, diced olives & capers. Last put in feta cheese (all to taste or you can leave any of the ingredients out if you don't have/like them). Serve over your favorite pasta.

Jana said...

Hmmmmm, let me think...I made kind of fun thing the other day that I thought was tasty. I built it like a lasagna, with the following ingredients. It ends up being kind of like chicken parmasean lasagna style. It was really good.

Spag sauce
1/4 slices of polenta (the one made like a tube)
chicken breasts (pounded to be thin)
mozz cheese
seasoned bread crumbs
parmasan cheese

So I started with a layered all the ingredients in the following order: spag sauce, polenta slices, both cheeses, chicken(not cooked), and bread crumbs. I kept going until I ran out of ingredients and then topped it off with cheese. I cooked it at 350 for about 20 minutes, until it was bubbly and the chicken was cooked. I made it up, so I don't have an exact recipe.

Kayli said...

Hey Kristin! LOVE that Abraham is starting to walk...how fun!!! :) Here are a few of our FAVORITE recipes from the last couple weeks:

Pulled Pork Sandwhiches
3 lb. of Pork Shoulder/Butt
18 oz. of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 can of Beef Broth

Place it all in the slow cooker for 6 - 8 hours on low, flipping it over at least once. Shred the meat with forks & put on hamburger buns...YUM! My kids devoured these, too! :)

Pancit
1 (12 ounce) pkg dried rice noodles
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced, cooked chicken breast meat
1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced (optional)
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce

Place the rice noodles in a large bowl, and cover with warm water. When soft, drain, and set aside. (Watch the noodles carefully so they don't get too soggy/sticky!)

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in chicken, cabbage, carrots and soy sauce. Cook until cabbage begins to soften. Toss in noodles, and cook until heated through, stirring constantly.

Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast
1 large onion, sliced
2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (optional)

*Costco carries Pork Sirloin Tip Roast in 3 pks, that work GREAT for this recipe!
Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, hot sauce & red wine vinegar; pour over roast.
Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.

LOVE the delicious slow cooker meals...they save SO much time! :) Hope you enjoy as we have!

Hurricane Living said...

I was just stopping in for some recipe ideas for my grocery list & I saw this...great idea! Thanks for sharing your meals...it sure helps me with me menu each week! :-)