Friday, June 6, 2008

The Innocence of Children

Today Whittaker was eating a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. While eating, he looked down at his cream cheese and said, "Mom, I like white."
Here's the conversation that ensued:

Me: "Yeah Whitt, white is a nice 'color'."
Whitt: "Mom, I'm not white."
Me: "Oh, ok, what are you?"
Whitt: "I'm not black either."
Me: "Ok, well what are you?"
Whitt: "I'm just Whittaker."
Me: "You're right Whitt - you are Whittaker. That's exactly who you are and who God made you - just like I'm mom, Lowa is Lowa, Abraham is Abraham and Daddy is Daddy."
Whitt: "Yeah."

This absolutely melted my heart. To have the heart of a child where we are just who we are - defined by who God made us. Such a random and adorable conversation. I love this boy so much and pray that the so many who only see skin color would look deeper within and see that we are all - just who we are!

"I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Luke 10:21.


Hmmm, contemplating life?!!


Our little buddies


Our special boy Whitt - this kid ROCKS!

PS - Yes, day 5 in Ethiopia is still coming :). I'm getting very close to being done...

3 comments:

Michael and Michelle said...

You have a very wise boy. I wish all people thought the way Witt thinks.

I can't wait to hear about day 5. Also I'm waiting to hear about the buzzing bees.

Michelle

A Team said...

HEY!
I have a new blog address...
If you put it on your blog roll, list us as the A-Team...
We are trying to be a little more ambiguous with personal information.

www.tnateam.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Trace

Unknown said...

Aren't children the absolute best medicine? Sam and Thomas keep me in stitches with their wisdom. At gymnastics Sam was supposed to do a forward roll after hopping down a trampoline. He skipped the roll and the coach said, "Sam, where's the forward roll?" Sam immediately stopped looked all around and, having no sucess in finding the roll, said, "I don't know where it went."