Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dancing Fiasco!

Lowa has been begging to go dance class for a good year now. She's told me that when she wants to grow up she'd like to be a ballerina. I quite like this idea as dancing is a passion of mine! Thus it was quite exciting the other day when I found out that Dancing For Joy was offering a whole day of free classes! I thought this would be a great opportunity to see what the studio was like and also give a Lowa a chance to get her groove on (and let me tell you, she's got a good groove :) )!

As we arrived at the dance studio, she was quite excited about it and hopping all about. She was led out onto the dance floor and ready to do her moves, when it's like a red flag went off in her head saying, "Wait, my mom is sitting over there watching - she's not with me. And oh yeah, my twin brother who does EVERYTHING with me is not here either. And, yikes, there are a lot of kids here that I don't know AT ALL. And, whoa - wait a second, other adults are watching me too." You could see the progression of scary thought play out in her ability and willingness to dance. She started off trying some of the moves and ended up like this...







Yep, Lowa's the one standing there frozen in her footsteps!

After the dance class (she lasted for one session - glad we didn't have to pay for it) we of course talked all about it. I asked her if she still wanted to be a ballerina when she grew up. Her response, "Um, I think I'd like to be a veterinarian instead!" Nice!!

Bryce and Kiersten - this one's for you - I've finally put something up - 'bout time! Love you guys!!

3 comments:

Belleme said...

KEEP TRYING!! My Mom had to sit with me and watch months of kiddie dance classes before I found out that dancing was my thing! Then I went on to dance all through high school and college! Stick with it! But very funny video! :)

Eric Dustrude said...

She'll get there in her own good time. DFJ is a great place - my girls both danced there for a few seasons.

Kiersten Leigh said...

A story:
My mom put me in dance class when I was 5 or 6ish. Not bad, not bad, though I much preferred playing soccer or softball and coming home with skinned knees. It was a 6-week session, and at the end we had a recital. I had come to tolerate the leotards we were performing in (at least they were blue and not pink), but as we lined up to go out on stage the teachers plopped some ridiculous headband with sparkles and things flying out of the top onto our heads (think valentines day headbands with light up hearts sticking up like antenna). I don't do sparkles. I was mortified. We took the stage, and I performed the entire routine with my best I'm-going-to-kill-you-when-this-is-all-over stare directed straight at my parents the entire time. The entire time.

And I never took dance again.

I sympathize with you Lowa. :)
Those dancers are crazy.