Dr. Gebrehawarait grew up in an orphanage with no parents. He very much understands what the millions of children in Ethiopia suffer through every day without a family. He grew up and found a way to get himself into school and eventually became a Dr. How he managed this, I do not know, but I am so excited to hear more of his story. He is in the process of starting his own grassroots non-profit organization in Ethiopia called Welfare Association Arch Bishop Yohannes (long name, but you can refer to it as WAABY). With his organization he is building a hospital that will serve HIV/AIDS patients in the Mekele region. It will also have an entire floor dedicated to training nurses. I find this to be so exciting. Another amazing thing that Dr. Geb is doing is supporting an sponsoring around 40 children in the region who are orphans but living with their extended families. For me this is very exciting because this is my heart's desire. I want children to be able to stay with their families whenever possible. I am excited to meet Dr. Geb, hear his story and be a part of the work he is doing! As I find out more information, I will continue to share about this amazing man!
In my conversations with him we have been discussing what is needed and what we can bring to help with the hospital and the children and families we will be visiting. I've listed below some the needed items below.
• Paintbrushes
• Paint tape
• Paint tarps
• Paint pans
• Paint rollers
• **Dr. Geb said we will need extra of these because the locals will want to help.
• Ziplocks to store paintbrushes
• Shoes (or cash to buy shoes - around $8.00/pair) for children ages 3-17. We need around 200 pair.
• Clothing for older children 8-17 (distributed to about 40 children Dr. Geb is sponsoring within their extended families – parents have died and extended family is taking care of them).
• Money to help buy paint for Dr. Geb’s HIV/AIDS hospital (cost between $500-$2,000).
• Older children's cold medicines and antibiotics.
If you feel that you would like to help by donating any of the above items, that would be amazing and more than appreciated! We know things are tight for everyone, but to be able to give something so tangibly and to know exactly what it is going towards is an exciting thing. Last year many of my family and friends (as well as my friend Karen's family and friends) graciously gave money for shoes and we were able to purchase 150 pairs! What a blessing it was to the people of Kerbera Village. I'm including pictures of many of the children who received the shoes from our friends! This is something that we would welcome being passed along to other family and friends if you think they might be interested in donating. My blog address is http://greshamclan.blogspot.com/




My email address is tandkgresham@gmail.com if you are interested in donating. More than anything, we appreciate your prayers for this trip! Thanks everyone!
Kristin
3 comments:
Kristin, is it selfish of me to be praying that we have our referral before you go to Ethiopia so you can love on my baby daughter?
This post just makes me cry. Seriously. My heart is so much in Ethiopia, and of course A and I are going to donate (probably just send you a check again so we are wasting money shipping things across the country. I'll contact you about that via email or something. :)
Again, I'm so proud of you!!
M
I am so glad you are doing this!!! WOW!! Part of my heart is still in Ethiopia!!! I Love the country and ache for the hurting people. This is so exciting!!!
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com
This is such a moving post my friend. The pictures and story of Dr. Geb bring tears to my eyes. Once our adoption is funded, I would love to jump on board with you and do all that I can to help Dr. Geb and his mission. Let's keep in touch. My two biggest wishes for Africa is for her children to be able to stay with their families, and for her people to receive medical treatment and prevention. I am so happy to see programs like this that recognize these big issues. Will be praying for you and the mission work!
Theresa
Post a Comment